*OBS: traffic estimations based on keyword performance uplift and measured using SEMrush.
Insplanet is part of Zmarta Group, which is a collection of websites that allow consumers to compare prices and offers across a variety of financial services. This includes loans, mortgages, electricity and insurance.
Insplanet was launched in 1999 and offers its customers a wide-range of insurance products. Over time this website accrued huge SEO value, but lost significant brand awareness.
Our brief was to successfully migrate the entire Insplanet.com domain into the Zmarta.se ecosystem without losing any SEO value.
With all migrations, you need to create a formidable team. This was 100% the case with Insplanet, for this project we collaborated with the Zmarta internal SEO team along with group level and Insplanet development teams.
With this team in place, there was no questions left unanswered. A detailed project plan with clear responsibilities and deadlines was created, which allowed us to all know our integral part(s) in the project.
We all sync’d monthly at the beginning of the project, weekly in the month leading up to launch and daily in the final week.
Throughout this project Nucleus worked closely with the internal SEO resource at Zmarta, who had this to say 👇
Insplanet presented a few challenges due to the deep history of the website. To overcome these challenges, we hit them head on at the beginning of the project.
Once we understood Insplanet’s historical set up, existing performance and current challenges, we were able to put together an initial strategy that focused on three key phases:
Redirect mapping is the #1 component when migrating any website. This was no exception.
Early on, we made the bold decision to redirect all of insplanet.com into a mixture of sub-folders. Commercial pages were migrated to their respective site section in Zmarta.se.
Since launching in 1999, there have been tremendous SEO efforts undertaken to transform the performance of Insplanet into a market leader of insurance in Sweden. We did not want to lose any of that value.
We also understood that the website had gone through many iterations on its journey. Due to this, we knew that collating all historic and existing URLs was key.
From this point we were able to dissect historical redirects into 1:1 redirects between the original URL location to the new location on Zmarta.se – we believe this act of chopping up redirect chains was key driver to a successful migration.
Due to development being heavily involved in the migration effort, we were able to stress test the redirect logic and fix any anomalies in the development environment, of which there were plenty. Managing pre-existing trailing slash and nordic character (åöä) rules was a tricky obstacle.
However, we managed to tackle all of these obstacles pre-migration launch, so post launch was just double checking everything worked as expected and submitted a change of address via Google Search Console on the day.
Overall doing it this way made the go-live day much less stressful for everyone involved and we can now begin to see fantastic results from migrating relevant pages from Insplanet into the different sub-folders on Zmarta.
Once we were happy with how the first phase was progressing, we moved onto finding additional growth opportunities though the existing content, we split this out into four steps.